Fish oil is an important constituent in aquafeed industry because of its high proportions of n-3 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids (LC-PUFA) that play an important role in supporting normal growth, health, and nutritional quality of farmed aquatic animals.
- Fish oil is an excellent lipid source, especially in terms of HUFAs and PUFAs.
- Fish Oil has greater abundance of EPA and DHA.
- Fish oil especially body oil are rich in triacylglycerols (TAGs), which comprise the major component of stored fats, generally contributing in excess of 90% of the total fatty acid composition.
- It offers major benefits to animal health, including improved immunity against disease, higher survival and growth, and reduced incidences of deformities.
- It is considered to increase feed appeal. This encourages farmed fish and crustaceans to locate feed and increases consumption, thereby reducing wastage.
- It is highly digestible, which leads to increased growth and less wastage of food.